By Victoria Emma Pagán
- Tacitus is without doubt one of the most vital Roman historians of his time, in addition to an excellent literary stylist, whose paintings is characterised via his philosophy of human nature
- Encourages interdisciplinary dialogue meant to interact students past Classics together with philosophy, cultural stories, political technological know-how, and literature
- Showcases new theoretical techniques that increase our realizing of this complicated author
- Clarifies and explains the notoriously tricky language of Tacitus
- Written and designed to organize a brand new iteration of students to envision for themselves the richness of Tacitean thought
- Includes contributions from a vast diversity of demonstrated foreign students and emerging stars within the field
Read Online or Download A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best historical studies books
This vast survey introduces readers to the most important subject matters, figures, traditions and theories in Western old inspiration, tracing its evolution from biblical occasions to the current. Surveys the evolution of historic idea within the Western international from biblical instances to the current day. presents scholars with the historical past to modern historic debates and techniques.
Background, political philosophy, and constitutional legislation have been born in Athens within the house of a unmarried generation--the iteration that lived in the course of the Peloponnesian warfare (431-404 b. c. e. ). This amazing age produced such luminaries as Socrates, Herodotus, Thucydides, Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes, and the sophists, and set the degree for the schooling and early careers of Plato and Xenophon, between others.
Territory is without doubt one of the important political ideas of the fashionable global and, certainly, services because the basic manner the area is split and regulated politically. but territory has no longer obtained the serious recognition afforded to different the most important options corresponding to sovereignty, rights, and justice. whereas territory keeps to subject politically, and territorial disputes and preparations are studied intimately, the concept that of territory itself is frequently overlooked at the present time.
David Hume, the eighteenth century thinker, famously declared that ‘the crusades engrossed the eye of Europe and feature ever for the reason that engaged the interest of guy kind’. this is often the 1st e-book size learn of ways succeeding generations from the 1st campaign in 1099 to the current day have understood, refashioned, moulded and manipulated debts of those medieval wars of faith to fit altering modern conditions and pursuits.
Extra info for A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Victoria Emma Pagán